Below is our recent interview with David Rowat, Partner at Strategic Exits Partners:
Q: Could you provide our readers with a brief introduction to Strategic Exits Partners?
A: Strategic Exits Partners is a boutique mergers and acquisitions advisory firm that assists tech entrepreneurs and their investors in structuring and executing the optimum exit transaction. Strategic Exits Partners’ team is made up of seasoned veterans of the technology industry, who have started, scaled, pivoted and exited dozens of tech companies from enterprise software, web applications, robotics, AI, SaaS, clean tech, communications, medical devices, hardware, data analytics to companies within many other technology sectors.
Q: Who is your ideal client and why?
A: Our ideal client is a technology company between $10 million and $50 million in valuation. However, we also work with tech companies at an early stage where we provide strategic advice during their development. At a certain point, these companies grow to a size where they either need to sell, or raise a Series A round of venture capital to fund their continued growth. At Strategic Exits Partners, we understand this “early exit inflection point” and advise whether the best strategy is to “Grow Big” or to sell. If the decision is to sell, we can negotiate the best early exit.
Q: Can you give us more insights into your offering?
A: Strategic Exits Partners is an established thought leader on important M&A trends in the technology industry. The partners developed the theory of early exits: it is often better to sell a technology company early in its development. Tech entrepreneurs can avoid the scaling risk that claims too many companies which pursue a rapid-growth strategy. There are essentially four drivers that optimize technology companies for an early exit:
- 3rd Party Validation – the company has a dominant position in a market, measured by metrics such as mindshare, user count, market penetration.
- IP – the company has patents, proprietary software, trademarks, copyrights, or trade secrets which are strategic to the acquiror.
- Revenue – the company has demonstrated value in the market through validated prototypes or early revenue to justify a multiple on the acquisition price.
- Acquihire – the company has several key staff members with expertise in a domain that is desirable to the acquiror. The whole business is acquired to obtain the individual key people.
Q: What can we expect from Exit Partners in next 12 months? What are your plans?
A: Strategic Exit Partners will continue to change the lives of tech entrepreneurs by structuring and executing the optimum exit transaction. We have worked in technology for our entire careers. We enjoy working with entrepreneurs and take pride in helping them monetize their years of hard work.
Q: What is the best thing about Strategic Exit Partners that people might not know about?
A: Strategic Exits Partners are thought leaders in the technology sector. We research, write, and publish articles on many aspects of the sector particularly as they relate to tech M&A. Our blog includes articles on:
- why fully-remote companies earn more money for their founders,
- the strategy, preparations and execution of tech company exits,
- valuation of tech companies,
- the impact of automation technologies on tech companies’ exit strategies
- macro-economics and their impact on tech companies, and many others.
Our clients have found these articles to be critical in formulating their exit strategies and preparing for an exit.Activate Social Media: