ATMIA is one of the leading non-profit organisations with roots deep in the ATM industry. ATMIA helps its members stay educated and connected while also protecting the ATM industry’s assets and solving common issues regarding ATMs together with its members. Below is our interview with Mike Lee, CEO of ATMIA:
Q: Mike, could you provide our readers with a brief introduction to ATMIA?
A: ATMIA is the only international non-profit trade association serving the ATM industry which has installed over 3 million ATMs worldwide. Our membership in 65 countries encompasses the full range of all sectors from manufacturing to ATM deployment, from switches and network processors to software suppliers, from cash-in- transit and cash management operators to security solution providers, from central banks to industry experts and consultants. ATMIA operates chapters in North America, Latin America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, India and Asia Pacific.
Q: What have been some major milestones over the last 12 months?
• Reaching 8,000 members
• Completing a 2020 Roadmap for the migration of ATM operating systems to Windows 10
• Publication of an updated security best practice manual for ATM software security
• Developing a WithdrawcashWednesday campaign to promote consumer cash use during the US holiday shopping season
• Publication of an Extreme ATMs dossier documenting the world’s most remarkable ATM deployments including in Antarctica, above the arctic circle and in a remote desert community in Western Australia
• Publication of early history of the ATM in the form of an ATM Fact Sheet
• Development of an Industry RFI (Request for Information) outlining a consensus of bank and independent operators of ATMs for a vision of the next generation of ATMs
• Launching of an online (cash repository)
Q: You’ve recently announced a number of festivities; tell us something more?
A: The ATM is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2017. At the US event we honored the milestone by hosting a historic display filled with pictures and memorabilia from the 60’s and 70’s as well as an infographic to explain how the ATM got to where it is today. We also brought in a panel of industry veterans to talk during the conference about the first days of the ATM and how it all began. Our 50th anniversary web portal contains more information about the history of the ATM including an presentation that anyone can add a slide to as well as other documents both fun and educational. During the European event in June, there will be a dinner and speakers reminiscing about the beginning of the industry. ATMIA is celebrating 20 years of serving the industry. Throughout the year we are sending out interesting stories of members within the industry. They are sharing their memories both personal and professional as to how the ATM industry has shaped their lives.
Q: Tell us something more about ATMIA’s U.S. conference?
A: ATMIA’s US annual conference is the largest ATM-focused event is the world, consistently drawing over 1,000 industry professionals; including delegates from 25 – 30 foreign countries. This month’s conference will be our 18th. It is a three-day event that includes committee meetings, workshops, an extensive educational program, and expansive exhibit hall. Our speakers include major banks, the largest independent ATM deployers, key manufacturers, the Federal Reserve, and leading technology providers. Many of the industry’s leading companies use the ATMIA US conference to launch new products and innovations.
Q: What are your plans for next four months?
• Analyze feedback to the deployer’s Industry RFI for Next Generation ATMs from global ATM vendors and suppliers
• Launch an international “cash is good” campaign
• Publish security best practices for preventing money laundering at ATMs
• Continue growing our membership base and expanding our outreach into non-ATM sectors in which our members are interested
• Put on international industry conferences and educational webinars